3.04.2007

ANOTHER REASON THE DAILY IS REAL

To give you an idea of how mundane my life is now, I print out magazine stories to read at lunch. I've even thought about doing Sudoke on my train ride.

But that's neither here nor there. Check out this excerpt from an Esquire feature on Ann Arbor's own Iggy Pop:


I had a nickname that I couldn't escape around town and it was torture. Then my band opened for Blood, Sweat & Tears. I think the entire band got fifty dollars total. But we had a lot of new ground. And afterward a huge piece was written about us in The Michigan Daily. In this story, the writer calls me Iggy.

I was like, Oh, fuck. We got all this press, but they're calling me Iggy. What could I do? I knew the value of publicity. So I put a little "Pop" on the end.

Took me thirty years to make what I wanted out of the name.

It's not nearly as cool as The Claw and I'd be even prouder if we had mispelled the name, but it still brings a tear to my eye.

No comments: