9.17.2008

TRL IS DUNZO

A piece of me just died.

The pop culture phenomenon Total Request Live -- better known as TRL -- has been canceled. The last episode will air in November.

At its height, TRL ruled the world.

Yeah, the show was pretty absurd. The idea of running home from high school to catch 30 seconds of "Bye, Bye, Bye" at No. 1 for the 254th time with girls popping up in the picture-in-picture to scream "I love you Justin!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!" doesn't seem real appealing.

But deep down you know you loved it. All of it. The lame Carson Daly jokes. The outrage when Britney Spears' dressed up in that Catholic school girl outfit in "...Baby One More Time." Even Jesse Camp. (OK, maybe not).

But shit, even Eminem did. He went so far as to release this statement (seriously): "I'm going to miss 'TRL.' ... Where else will I be able to start feuds, defend my honor vigorously and act like an angry teenager on national TV? Oh wait ... The VMAs!"

Touche, Em. Touche...

No comments: